1. Select the blue ProctorU owl icon in the top right of your browser toolbar to login to your ProctorU account.
2. Navigate to your quiz in the relevant Canvas subject site and open the Edit panel.
3. A ProctorU toggle button will appear below the ‘Quiz instructions’ box and above the ‘Quiz type’ box. If the section does not appear, check that you are signed into the ProctorU extension via the browser toolbar. If this does not solve the issue, you can restart your browser and clear your browser cache before loading the page again.
4. Turn the ProctorU toggle on to access the automated proctoring options.
5. Firstly turn ‘Auto generated password’ to the ‘On’ position. NB: This password will not need to be shared with students. This is required for the ProctorU configuration.
6. Next check to make sure all the remaining settings on this screen match the suggestions for the Canvas settings.
- Shuffle answers – Checked
- Time limit – Set to your exam length in mins.
- Allow multiple attempts
- For ProctorU Invigilated Exams this is recommended to be set to 3 attempts.
- For Timed LMS exams this should be left unselected (allowing one attempt).
- Let students see their quiz responses – Unchecked
- ‘Show one question at a time’ – Checked
- ‘Lock answer after attempt’ – Unchecked.
- Filter IP addresses – Unchecked.
- Assign to – Leave set as ‘Everyone’
- Due – Set to match the ‘Until’ time of your availability window.
- Available from/ until – Matching your exam availability window.
More detail is provided on the Recommended settings for online exams in Canvas page.
7. Next, select the ‘ProctorU settings’ tab available above the ‘Quiz instructions’ box near the top of the page.
8. Amend the settings according to your requirements. The setting sections are detailed below.
Select one of these options for pre-set restriction levels. The recommended level is ‘Medium’, however it can be set to ‘High’ if you do not need students to access any additional materials during the exam. Adjusting the settings below, if needed, in the ‘Custom’ section will also change the classification automatically.
- Browser tabs – Students are either ‘restricted’ to using the single browser tab that the test is open in or are ‘allowed’ to open other tabs during the exam.
- Allow copy text and image – Students can copy and paste text during the period of the exam. It is advisable to leave this as ‘restricted’, if possible, to ensure academic integrity.
- Window sized allowed – You can select whether students are able to resize their window, or whether it is ‘Maximised’ or ‘Fullscreen’. ‘Maximised’ is the advised default option.
- Application lost focus – This refers to whether students are able to leave the browser window and use other programs during the exam. ‘Restricted’ is the advised default option. Depending on the resources selected below this option may be updated automatically.
Permitted resource settings
NB: For AI invigilated exams, students will not be prompted to illustrate the physical resources that they have available. You may wish to insert a first question of your exam to ask students to verify the resources they have with them by showing them to their camera (e.g., note paper or physical textbooks).
- Books – Students can be allowed access to textbooks either in a physical, ebook or website format. For physical textbooks consider visual camera verification for AI invigilated exams.
- Calculators – Students are can be allowed access a range of different calculator types. NB: Allowing a student to use the computer’s calculator will automatically change the ‘Application lost focus’ setting to ‘Allowed’ so that students are able to open this other application during their exam. For physical calculators you may wish to ask for visual camera verification the case of an AI invigilated exam.
- Notes – There are a variety of note types that students can be allowed, both physical and digital.
- Handwritten notes or note cards – Notes a student has created themselves. Consider visual camera verification for AI invigilated exams.
- Printed notes – Provided or created notes that have been printed from a digital format. Consider visual camera verification for AI invigilated exams.
- Notes (PDF, Word, PowerPoint, Excel) – Notes that have been provided in each of the nominated applications. Allowing any of these options will automatically change the ‘Application lost focus’ setting to ‘Allowed’ so that students are able to open this other application during their exam.
- Web – Students can be given access to certain websites during their exam. This resource indicates how to nominate particular ‘pre-approved websites’ via whitelisting.
- Scratch paper – An amount and type of scratch paper can be set. Consider visual camera verification of blank scratch paper for AI invigilated exams. Also, if requiring ‘destroy scratch paper’, for AI invigilated exams advise students via a final question so that they can destroy this in front of the camera.
- Software – Students are allowed to use the selected software application during the exam. Allowing any of these options will automatically change the ‘Application lost focus’ setting to ‘Allowed’ so that students are able to open this other application during their exam.
- Other – Barring the case of accessibility conditions, bathroom breaks should not be included.
9. It is also possible to set notifications via the ‘ProctorU notifications’ tab. Tick the box to receive a notification when specific students start their exam session. Enter the student names and select how you want to receive the notifications.
10. Select ‘Save and Publish’. Students will not be able to access the exam before the availability date, only see that one will become available.
11. You may receive an email from ProctorU asking you to log in to check settings. If you are not whitelisting any websites you should not click on the link in this email. Please ignore this email.
Still need help?
Get in touch with the LX.lab team by logging a ticket via ServiceConnect. We'll be in touch shortly.
Log a ticket
Want to provide feedback on this resource? Please log in first via the top nav menu.