This resource provides instructions on how to mark Tests/Quizzes manually in UTSOnline and Canvas.
This screen recording on UTS Kaltura has been created to illustrate the methods for marking tests in UTS Online.
UTSOnline – Marking Tests for Online Exams
You can also refer to the instructions below for step-by-step detail.
- In your subject site, navigate to the Subject Management Panel > Grade Centre > Needs Grading.
- Use the Item drop down field to select the relevant Test/Exam. Select Go to filter the attempts for the selected Test/Exam.
- The table below the filter menu should display all the attempts which needs grading for the selected Test/Exam.
You can choose to mark all responses to a specific question.
- From the filtered table (see Access a Test, step 3), hover over an Item name to access the Test menu. Select Grade by Question from the drop down menu.
- From the Filter Questions by Status drop down filter, select Needs Grading. Then select Go to activate the filter.
- From the displayed table, select the number in the Responses column, for one of the questions. If you wish to mark without knowing the student name, select the Grade with User Names Hidden checkbox.
- All the responses for the question you selected in Step 3 will now display. For each of the student’s responses, select the Edit button to activate the Scoring and Feedback menu.
- The student’s response can be viewed in the Given Answer row.Enter a score in the Score text box. It is optional for you to add feedback for students in the Response feedback text box. Note that Response Feedback text box only appears for certain question types, such as Essays.Select Submit to save your score.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the remaining attempts to your selected question.Note: If you have allowed for multiple attempts, and students have attempted a question multiple times, mark the latest attempt (eg Attempt 2 of 2, or Attempt 3 or 3).
You can choose to mark one Test (or attempt) at a time.
- From the filtered table (see Access a Test, step 3), select the first student in the User Attempt column.If you have allowed for multiple attempts, and students have attempted a question multiple times, the filtered table will show the attempt which requires grading (based on the your settings when you set up the Test).
- In the next page, the student name will display at the top of the page, as well as the attempt number (eg Attempt 1 of 1, Attempt 2 of 2, etc). You can navigate to the next or previous students by using the arrows on the left and right of the name.Below the student name is the Test information section, which can be expanded or contracted. This section contains information about the status of the test, when the student started the Test and when the student submitted the Test.All the questions in the Test (both automatically and manually graded questions) will display below the Test Information section.
- Scroll down to a question which requires manual grading. Enter a score in the Score text box.
It is optional for you to add feedback for students in the Response feedback text box. Automatically marked questions, for example, multiple choice questions will have had a score in the score field, already.
- Repeat Steps 2 – 3 for any remaining questions which require manual grading.
- Scroll down to the bottom page and select Save and Next to proceed to mark the next Test attempt.
- Repeat steps 2 – 5 for all remaining Test attempts.
This screen recording on UTS Kaltura has been created to illustrate the methods for marking quizzes using the Canvas Speedgrader.
Canvas – Marking Quizzes for Online Exams
You can also refer to these Canvas Guides for these instructions:
Still need help?
Get in touch with the LX.lab team by logging a ticket via ServiceConnect. We'll be in touch shortly.
Log a ticket
Want to provide feedback on this resource? Please log in first via the top nav menu.