- Wednesday, 19 April 2023
12:30 pm - 1:00 pm
- Hybrid format (further details provided upon registration)
Have you ever seen or heard a screen reader in action?
Did you know that:
- there are different types of screen readers?
- many individuals use screen readers, not only those with visual impacts?
Join us in this Tooltime session to learn about the challenges that many learners face with digital materials – even with the use of assistive technology like a screen reader. This session will focus on two popular screen readers – NVDA and Read&Write.
What’s covered in this session:
- What are screen readers?
- Challenges faced by screen reader users when accessing digital materials
- How a screen reader (NVDA) reads a Canvas page
- How a screen reader (Read&Write) interacts with teaching materials
What is Tooltime?
Tooltime is a series of short informal showcases, where staff from all areas can share a gadget, tool, app, workflow or technique. The technologies showcased can range from anything that could engage learners, streamline teaching or be time savers. Sessions do not necessarily address teaching and learning concepts in-depth, but rather recognise the technology’s potential capabilities in this area. Each session in the series will run for 30 minutes and is intended for either academic or professional staff.
The Tooltime hosts make no claims on the utility of tools and do not necessarily provide support for the gadgets, widgets or workflows presented.
This event will be running in a hybrid format. Please select your preferred attendance mode in the registration form.
Register for this event
Your video, audio and the meeting chat transcript may be recorded or photographed. Please advise the facilitator if you do not wish to be recorded or photographed.