UTS is nothing without its students. That’s why all the major decision-making committees at the university have student representatives. If you’d like to get more involved and make a difference at UTS, running for election on one of these committee is a great opportunity, and it can really pay off in your post-UTS career. Students who participate on committees learn to hone their organisation and leadership skills, practice strategic thinking, and develop relationships with students, staff, and external representatives.

Jessica Massih sits on the ActivateUTS Board of Directors and UTS Haberfield Club Board of Directors while working toward her Bachelor of Engineering degree. Her time serving on those committees has been extremely valuable in developing the skills she will need to be successful in the workplace. “Strategic thinking was never really something that crossed my mind before becoming an ActivateUTS Board Director, but now I feel that it is one of the most important skills I hold,” said Massih. “I have also noticed a difference in my ability to communicate, to prioritise and to manage my time more effectively.”

“[T]he opportunities and challenges offered by the committees mirror the corporate sector,” said Ikram Uddin Qamar, a postgraduate business student who serves on the Faculty Board of Business. “The leadership skills that I have learnt from the [Faculty Board] will help me in my career.”

The camaraderie of the student representatives adds to the experience. “I do have fun as a student representative. I get to meet and talk with other students. I interact with them. I understand what their concerns are and work to help solve [them],” said Daren Maynard, a third-year PhD student in the Faculty of Design, Architecture and Built Environment who sits on several committees. Students on committee regularly interact with other students, but also with high-ranking UTS officials like the Provost and Chancellor, as well as people in government and private industry from outside of UTS. “I’ve met so many people, including some of my mentors and closest friends,” said Massih.

Massih is proud of her work on committees. “I wanted to be a voice for STEM students and to bring a different perspective to the table. I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone. . . I’m so insanely proud to have been President of the ActivateUTS Board of Directors and I only hope that other people take advantage of this amazing opportunity for all it’s worth.”

If you want to get involved, nominations open on 14 August and close at 3:00pm on 28 August. You can find more information here, or email elections@uts.edu.au with any questions.