If you had told me at the start of this year that I would be leaving my job at UTS for six weeks to go on a secondment at an Indigenous organisation, I probably wouldn’t have believed you. The opportunity presented itself briefly in the form of an email from my supervisor, and I didn’t really think much of it at the time. But after researching more about Jawun and their secondment program, I decided it was something worth pursuing. 

Following the application process and interview, I was elated to find out that I had been selected as a secondee and placed with the Aboriginal Housing Company (AHC) in Redfern. My project brief was closely related to my professional background in events management and communications, which was even better news to hear! 

For context, the Aboriginal Housing Company was established in 1973 and is the first community housing provider in Australia. The company is an independent non-profit charity located in the heart of Redfern, which lies on the traditional lands of the Gadigal People of the Eora Nation. In recent times, the AHC has been leading the Pemulwuy Project, a multi-year redevelopment of “The Block”, to provide new affordable housing for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. 

Starting the journey

It all began on 8 May, as I met up with the other Jawun secondees in Sydney to learn more about what to expect over the next six weeks. We were able to visit various Indigenous organisations working across Redfern and La Perouse in a variety of sectors including aged care, employment, education, housing and social services. 

My work with AHC began a few days later, kicking off with a meeting between myself and Lani Tuitavake, Chief Operating Officer of the company. The first two weeks of my secondment were a steep learning curve, as I dove deep into the history of the organisation and the famous area of Redfern known as The Block, on which the land owned by the AHC sits. 

Welcome to Redfern sign
The Block – a famous area of Sydney bounded by Eveleigh, Caroline, Louis and Vine streets in Redfern

As I began learning more about the place I was working, I also started delivering on my project objectives. I was tasked with helping the team plan and coordinate events for their 50th-anniversary celebrations. Two major events have been scheduled, including a community celebration on 25 July, and a gala dinner in November. My job was to help organise the logistics for their community event in July, which involved liaising with various stakeholders to confirm activities, entertainment and catering for the day. I was also involved in developing marketing materials to promote this event. Overall, it was great to be able to use my professional skills in this environment while also learning new skills along the way. 

Personal reflections

Whilst it was a great experience professionally, on a personal level it was extremely rewarding and heartwarming to be welcomed into the community and to hear all the stories from everyone who has been involved with the company. I had so many great chats with Lani, who has worked tirelessly for the company for over 30 years and who has seen the extraordinary changes that have happened in the area in that time. I also spent lots of time with the company CEO Uncle Mick Mundine, a proud Redfern local and Bundjalung man. Listening to his stories and witnessing his passion for his community made the secondment a truly special experience.

Along with all the personal and professional development, participating in a Jawun secondment allowed me to connect with a network of talented professionals from across Australia. Outside work hours we got to socialise and participate in lots of rich cultural activities. These included boxing classes at the NCIE in Redfern, a Tribal Warrior cruise on Sydney Harbour, and an amazing Bangarra Dance Theatre production at the Sydney Opera House.

I feel truly blessed to have participated in this secondment initiative – the memories that I’ve made will certainly last a lifetime. I’d like to express my sincere gratitude and thanks to everyone who supported me throughout this experience – my UTS colleagues, Jawun Regional Director for Inner Sydney Mihka Chee, and of course all the amazing staff of the Aboriginal Housing Company. 

• Thank you for sharing your journey in the Jawun secondment Scott. What a great opportunity to be part of developing a significant community event marking the completion of a major development project, “The Block.”. This event will no doubt hold great significance for the community, and being a part of its organisation must have been rewarding.

• Great post Scott, loved reading more about your secondment. So good to be part of this new partnership between Jawun and UTS.