Are you a UTS staff member who have or will have a casual teaching contract in 2024 and are you looking for inspiration or strategies to improve your teaching practice? Consider registering your interest for this year’s Casual Academic Program.
The Casual Academic Program is a series of paid 1.5-hour professional learning sessions offered by the Institute for Interactive Media & Learning (IML) for UTS teaching staff on casual contracts. The program is part of UTS’s support for teaching staff on casual contracts to build their capability and confidence in their teaching practice.
In 2024, the Casual Academic Program will be on:
- Autumn 2024: 5–15 February
- Spring 2024: 22 July – 2 August
Professional learning sessions
10 online professional learning sessions are on offer in 2024 for the Autumn and Spring 2024 Casual Academic Program.
- Building student belonging in your classroom
- What to do when they just don’t do the reading!
- Enhance student engagement with Mentimeter
- Inclusive teaching for linguistically diverse classes
- Classroom assessment techniques (CATs)
Assessment, feedback and facilitating group work
- Supporting student learning with warm wise feedback
- Marking Canvas in tutors
- How to help students prepare for their assessment tasks
- Student agency and teamwork
- Make sense of the Similarity Report in Turnitin
Eligible teaching staff can register their interest in up to two workshops in the Casual Academic Program per teaching session.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Casual Academic Program in 2024, you must:
- have a UTS staff ID
- have a casual teaching contract for 2024
- not be in a full-time or fractional employment at UTS, in addition to your casual teaching contract
If you have an UTS staff ID but don’t have an active casual teaching contract as yet, an email endorsement from your subject coordinator that you will be teaching in 2024 to support your expressions of interest would be acceptable (email this to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Register your interest
Find out more about the workshops on offer in Autumn 2024 Casual Academic Program. Expressions of interest for the Spring 2024 Casual Academic Program will open in mid-June 2024.